REDACTED REGISTRANT CONTACT DATA REQUESTS
During the period from January through September 2023, we submitted 3106 requests for registrant data.
- Of those 3106 requests, 947 were compliant (30%).
- We received registrant data on 90% of compliant requests. The remaining 10% resulted in domain suspension/deletion, without registrant data being provided.
- 855 requests for registrant data did not receive a response at all (28%).
- 1304 requests received a non-compliant response (42%).
WHOIS REQUEST SYSTEM
The WHOIS Request System was developed to help our customers obtain non-public WHOIS data following the implementation of GDPR in June 2018. The system sends customer-verified, non-public WHOIS data requests for cybersecurity, consumer protection, and intellectual property enforcement activities in order to improve internet safety and security.
A BRIEF HISTORY
GLOBAL DATA FOR AUTHENTICITY
The launch of the EU GDPR in May 2018 provided the impetus for developing this system. Before GDPR launched, we began working with our customers to provide a means of acquiring WHOIS data for legitimate enforcement purposes after the advent of GDPR. In the Spring of 2018, we worked with major brands to build a system for submitting these requests until ICANN approved a unified WHOIS request process governing all registrars. In June 2018, the Tracer WHOIS Request System (WRS) became operational.
HOW OUR SYSTEM WORKS
The system is a workflow management tool in which customers initiate WHOIS requests on customer-identified domains for verified legitimate uses. Data is maintained for each individual customer in accordance with applicable data protection requirements and is not shared with other customers or third parties.
In the first year of use in 2018, we collaborated with global registrars to get vital feedback for the format and content requirements for the WHOIS data requests. We utilized the requirements to guide the future of our system.
We include language specifically required by individual domain registrars, remove requests for associated domains, and begin WHOIS requests for only single domain names. We have our IP address safelisted with registrars to facilitate the WHOIS request process. As certain registrars require subpoenas or specific legal requirements, we continuously seek unique timely solutions as opposed to sending repeated requests.
Investment in our strategic partnerships with the brand protection industry is a crucial part of our strategy and one of the reasons why Tracer is not only a pioneer but a market leader. We will continue to innovate to help our customers create authentic relationships with their consumers.